AKA and DJ Confirm Relationship and Pregancy Rumours

Fame is a difficult beast to please. While some celebrities choose to feed its insatiable appetite for their private lives, there are others who want only to be known for their work and contribution to the entertainment industry.
The latter is exactly the reason why DJ Zinhle (real name Ntombenzinhle Jiyane) and her award-winning rapper boyfriend AKA (Kiernan Forbes) haven’t confirmed their three-year-old relationship in the media, except of course for those cute and obvious hints on their Instagram accounts.
With their first child expected in July, the couple made the decision to open up, just as a once-off, about the exciting journey they’re about to embark on. Despite a slew of pregnancy rumours that did the rounds two weeks ago, the couple kept mum about their big news even though all they really wanted to do was shout it from the rooftops.
We’ve been private about our relationship because we wanted it to be something sacred between the two of us
“We’ve been private about our relationship because we wanted it to be something sacred between the two of us. I also think my brand is all about inspiration and I haven’t really figured out how knowing who I’m dating would inspire anyone,” Zinhle said in her March issue interview with DESTINY. But no matter the speculation, the couple has made a firm decision not to entertain with their private lives.
The idea of building a successful career in entertainment had never put this branding genius off the idea of motherhood. In fact, once she hit her thirties, she started thinking long and hard about it.
Zinhle first mentioned the baby subject to AKA last year, to which he responded: “Yes, you’re my girl, I will never find someone else like you, so let’s do it. Just tell me when,” she says. “We were supposed to do it last year, but work got in the way.”
The couple met at a concert at which they were both performing in Botswana in February 2012. “I remember him saying, ‘Stop being so stuck up, just come out with us,’ as he convinced me to hang out with him and his crew that night. We got stuck in traffic for a while as we were exiting the concert venue. He saw how frustrated and cold I was and gave me his jacket to wear,” she reminisces.
No one goes clubbing with the intention of having a full-on conversation, but that night, Zinhle says they spoke until 4am. Then, back at the hotel, the pair stayed up at reception and spoke some more. “The next morning, he asked if he could take me to breakfast. Afterwards, he asked if he could call me,” she says.
A direct message on Twitter, shortly after that, in which he said he couldn’t stop thinking about her gave away his intentions. “I thought that was a bit forward,” Zinhle chuckles.
The craziest thing has been seeing people write articles that are such fiction. Kiernan and I are the most boring couple you’ve ever met
When he eventually asked me if we could be exclusive, my common sense immediately said: “No ways. I know these rappers.” A relentless AKA finally convinced Zinhle to give the relationship a try, and six months later she met AKA’s mom. “That was three years ago and I’ve liked him ever since,” she gushes.
The downside of celebrities choosing to be private about their personal affairs is that it attracts a lot of speculation. And they would know because their relationship has been the subject of tabloids and gossip sites for as long as they’ve been together.
“The craziest thing has been seeing people write articles that are such fiction. Kiernan and I are the most boring couple you’ve ever met. We are straightforward with each other and don’t believe in being dramatic. He’s such a sweet person,” she says.
Sometimes, Zinhle says, she catches AKA staring at her baby bump amazed at how quickly it’s growing. “He is so excited about the baby – I’m so proud of him and how he’s handling this,” she says.