Another Statement From Khuli Chana's Management

3 November 2013

Press Statement from the Management of Khuli Chana

The management team of musician Khuli Chana notes with bemusement that the police are preparing to lay charges of attempted murder against him relating to last Monday's incident. Other media have indicated that these charges have already been laid. 

For the record, Khuli is innocent of any crime and is the victim in this matter. It is indeed sad that the SAPS have sought to paint him as a perpetrator who was the author of his own misfortune. It is indisputable that he was shot at seven times and that he committed no crime. Yet for the past week we have been fielding queries on baseless and disparaging claims that sought to besmirch his reputation, and in a clear attempt to cover-up the ineptitude of others.

On the morning in question he was not speeding when exiting the garage and neither was he flagged down. We believe that, following the various probes into the matter, Khuli will be vindicated despite these attempts to disparage his name and reputation.

His lawyer, Cliff Alexander, says: "Whether or not Khuli was or wasn't flagged down by unknown people still does not justify the SAPS having fired shots at him. They have certainly exceeded the bounds as contained in section 49 of the Criminal Procedure Act".

Khuli is currently recuperating following his harrowing ordeal. He says the incident has irrevocably changed his life but he has full faith in the South African justice system which he knows will both protect and exonerate him.

He says: "All that went through my mind when I realised I was being shot at was who was going to raise my 3-month-old daughter? In that moment I really thought that I was going to die. I am currently still receiving medical treatment and have begun going for trauma counseling. I realise the need to get better, pick up the pieces of my life, recover from this traumatic ordeal and move on. On a positive note it’s made me appreciate life and family and drawn me closer to God."