The Face of Media Mania 2012 - The Dreadlock Princess


It's never a sad thing when another pretty face is added to the world, especially one you can see more of more and more. That's what winning competitions does for girls in the modelling industry. Not only is it a great moment for them, but we as a public get to marvel at another beauty of God's creation.

Akhona, or A.k as her friends call her, is an aspiring model who just won The Face of Media Mania and will now represent Media Mania in a variety of the work they do. They guarantee you will be seeing more of her in 2012. In an inrterview with her she gave us a little introspection on who Akhona really is and what she's been up to for 18 years of her life:

Who is akhona?
I'm a phenomenal young lady from Tsakane. I went to Nigel High school and completed my matric last year. I live with my grandparents,siblings and a little brother. I have a very loving and supportive mother,who turned her baby (me) into a lady. My family believes in the Word of God so they have taught me respect and good values.I love my cousins and friends that turned into family,I love shopping,watching movies,dancing and drawing in my spare time. 


What makes you special?
One thing that makes me unique has to be my dreadlocks,Its been a decade since I had my locks. My mom named me "Patience" for a purpose,I love my hair because it makes me stand out. I understand my nature, I have mood swings however my basic personality remains the same. I am very sensitive,emotional,loving,sympathetic,kind and caring.I am a person who knows the art of patience,I know how to bide my time. 


What are some of your bad habits you'd like to work on?
Sometimes I find it rather hard to face life. I can be a little timid and retiring when things don't go too well. I am a bit lazy. I sometimes make heavy demands on others and need 2 be constantly reassured that I am loved. When I'm in love I am tender,womanly,timid and modest. I dislike criticism,can't stand rejection and gets deeply hurt by harsh words. I am secretive and don't like people prying around my personal diary yep that's me! 


What prior modelling experience do u have?
Like any other ordinary girl who always had a passion for modelling,In my childhood I entered a beauty pageants and I was crowned "Miss personality 2002" then from there each year me and my friend would enter beauty pageants at primary school and we would win... In high school I wanted something more challenging and tried my luck and entered "Miss S.A teen", but unfortunently I was turned down because of my height. But I aint giving up. I think this year I will enter "Miss S.A". 


I am a representative/model for a clothing brand called " Duchess/Duke virtual models" and I am a brand ambassador for a marketing company in Sandton called "The Creative Counsel". I am part of a professional modelling agency which is based in Sandton called "Que Model Management" were they are going to represent me in the character division which is basicly for t.v adverts etc. What was amazing is that I was signed up by Marriam Ngomani(the face of Nivea) I was trully inspired. Watch this space AK is making history "the 1st model with dreadlocks)... 


Highlight of my career?
My biggest Highlight has to be my 1st time on T.V... Wow I entered the Selimathunzi matric dance Lux make-over competition just because I wanted to be on t.v lol. So I had everything I wanted for my matric dance (boom!) I received a call from Selimathunzi telling me I won.. Gosh I was on a rollercoast of mixed emotions, but they prepared everything for my farewell. After the broadcast on Selimathunzi I became an instant celebrity. That moment of fame was really great..everywhere I went people noticed me and wanted auto-graphs lol. 
I was also in a local magazine called "Kaufela", the experience was amazing. Another great opportunity from Media Mania came along, a very tough competition with beautiful,driven girls but I won and I'm so excited. Can't wait to see what it got in store for me I'm truly blessed! 



What are your dreams for the future with or without modelling?
I was upgrading mathematics at vaal university so now I'm still waiting for my results. I want to study Bcom Informatics or Financial Information Systems second semester. I want to become a System Analysist...I want to show the world that I'm not just a pretty face. But I got brains too and I'm a hard worker.

Who do u look up to?
I look up to Bonang,she's a hardworker and a driven young lady,she's a go-gotter and always works hard to get what she wants. She doesn't care what other people think of her, and her background of how she got where she is now inspires me! 
I want other aspiring models to know that to become a mainstream model is not about da "pretty face or the slim figure". U need to have the total package,a mix of genetics and personality in order to strive in the modelling industry the u might just be "S.A 's next top model" 


Love or money?
I think the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds ur need for each other...for me love is more important than money and money can't buy love...money may fade but true love lasts forever. 

Fame or fortune?
I'll go with fortune because fame tends to change people's personality and they forget where they came from but I love living my life in the fab lane! 

Anything else u wanna share?
I want to expand my modelling career. I would like to build a strong portfolio on the ramps and generate work in the mainstream fashion industryI also want to eradicate assumptions that beautiful and famous women are not well-behaved...thank you! 


For more of Akhona and contact information you can email Naledi on naledi@mediamaniax.co.za. Photos of Akhona taken by Media Mania Entertainment.


The Tiger Himself
follow me on twitter @ttigersstory