Fresh, New, Gorgeous S.A Model - Meet Miranda Shongwe

She’s only 20years old and already forging her name into SA’s list of entertainment royalty. We took time to sit down with the young and talented Mims as she talks about ambition, success, love and everything else.
Young Mims (If I may call you that). Who is Mims? Real name? What do you do and what you all about?
My real name is Miranda Nomshado Shongwe a.k.a Mims. I am a down to earth 20 year old young African girl from the hood, Malvern, I am a radio presenter at YFM and im a model currently also studying towards a BA degree in Media. I’m full of wonderful aspirations and dreams, adventure is my middle name, I’m crazy, really crazy lol. I am a big dreamer in my on right, love being different and setting trends. I’m ambitious, a go getter, very grounded, a hard-worker not to mention very bubbly. 
I’m in alignment with who I am, love to uplift and help those around me, I live for the moment where I let go of everything I have learnt and just jump into spontaneity… responsibly though. I have a passion for media, I want live bigger than my dream. Im living up to my name “Miranda” meaning beautiful Star given to me by my Mommy J!! What makes me tick is SUCCESS SUCCESS!! Gosh I love working and seeing what I reap from my seedHope this sums up everything
You’re so young and have already accomplishing so much. You’re a model, YFM DJ and run your own blog. Did you fall into a Red Bull cauldron as baby or something?
*Laughs* Nah honestly it’s all hard work, attitude and intellectual capacity that gets you far in the long run. My Mom told me to get up and work to take care of yourself because no one else will do it for you and when you do it that way people cannot undermine or take advantage of you (TRUE STORY). At times I think I’m too ambitious, too determined to do everything and just be defined by success aside from other things. I always say to people that I am 20 and I’m not getting any younger so I need to accomplish things I’ve always wanted to do and maybe retire from everything by 25 (hopefully). Time waits for no man so I need to move with the tick of the clock!
 How did you get into radio? Has it always been your dream?
Growing up without a television set at home, my Mom would always have the radio on so that has been a contributing factor in my life so that lead me to loving radio by default plus I grew up listening to Bob Mabena, Shado from Metro, Unathi, Thomas and Dj Fresh from YFM and many others. I suppose that’s where my love in radio begun.
I got into radio through Adil More in 2009, he gave me a chance to produce his shows now and then and I learnt a lot from him. I then decided to enter the Y academy which I have always wanted to do but never thought I was ready for it but in April 2010 I went for it, thereafter Y Academy the programs manager Tumelo Diaho gave me a contract to do playground from 3-6 AM on Sunday.
Who is your favourite radio personality?
Sorry but I have top 3 radio personalities…
Adil More: he’s an awesome radio jock! He brings intelligence to radio, the great part is that it all makes sense and he’s so calm bringing a sense of serenity.
Dineo Ranaka: she’s confident, fun and very spontaneous, so much energy and vibe, he personality reflects on air and for me that is so important. When I listen to her I keep thinking what she is going to say and do next however nonetheless I’m filled with happiness.

*laughs* Lastly don’t laugh but for some reason without any reason I enjoy listening to Scoop (Siyabonga Ngwekazi) from Siz and scoop! He’s too funny, like a cartoon character! He appears to seem like an idiot but in reality he’s smart and humble... which in my state of mind metaphorically; I call it the chess game gunning down for the queen indirectly! Eish I hope that wasn’t to deep. *laughs*
Is it just me or has anyone ever told you that you sound a lot like Precious Kofi?
*laughs again* Nah It’s not just you, I have been told that I sound like Precious, I remember I was listening to YFM and some promo was playing on air and I was like… :wait a minuet I’ve never said that, when did I say that”? Then I realized that it was Precious not me. Overall I suppose it’s how we say certain words that kind of makes us similar in terms of vocal characteristics that we have within our vocal chords.
 Is there some sort of competition at YFM on who can hustle the most? Seems like you all have a million other things on the side.
Not even, I don’t think so unless I didn’t get the memo *laughs yet again*, I think people in general just want to succeed in life and  personally I am a go getter, very ambitious, I love to do a million other things instead of one. Work makes me happy, terms and conditions apply though lol because my line of work has to be within the media industry! After all you reap what you sow
Do you have aspirations to be on TV?
Yes definitely, I know I’m contradicting myself but at times I think TV is my 1st love prominent word being AT TIMES *laughs* however TV is complex compared to radio but I love it, I am working towards that and through GODs grace it will happen 
 In your very hectic schedule is there any time for a significant someone?
No fortunately there is no time for a significant other yet, I’m just doing me eeerr NO HOMO lol.
Would you ever make the 1st move on a guy you like?
No I would never! I’ve been in that situation where I really really liked this other guy and I knew that he liked me too but I never made a move instead I kept quite, I’m the type of girl would rather die inside with my emotions than tell him how I feel.
What are you favourite hangout spots?
 Rosebank because it’s a place where the young live forever, its filled with vibe, energy, colour and enriched with culture and young gifted FRESHE peeps! Can hang out at the movies etc besides that it’s a youth authority
 What can’t you leave home without? Cell phones don’t count.
I can’t leave home without my head phones/ ear phones I love them to bits, its my only access to music that makes it possible for it to travel all the way to my heart… hope that makes sense lol
 What is your ultimate indulgence?
In this order my ultimate indulgence is Sunshine, yes I said sunshine *laughs* music all the way, vanilla ice-cream and junk food! Strange but true, now that’s life for me
 In the following questions just answer either/or. Don’t explain.
 Blackberry/iPhone? iphone 
DJ Black-Coffee/DJ Euphonik?Dj Black-Coffee 
MacG/Mo Flava?Mac G
 Courvoisier/Patron? Courvoisier
 Benz/Beemer?Beemer
 Club 808/Live?live
 Generations/Isidingo? Generations
Wow Mims. This is the longest interview I’ve ever done. Girl just never stops talking. And you laugh, a lot. But I don’t blame you on that. I’m really funny. Catch your girl Mims on 99.2 YFM every Sunday 3-6am (The Playground).

Interview by Ntsiki Nxuba www.momix.co.za