At only age 29, Nonhle still has sex appeal like a mother....
1. You’ve recently parted ways with Vuzu TV – what was the reason for the split?
It was time for me to grow and spread my wings. I had been with Mnet for ten years and I was starting to feel stagnant, and the channel and I wanted different things. I will always love them, it was a beautiful ten years I had with them. But now I have to do me.
2. What projects are you busy working on at the moment?
I just launched my online channel www.nonhlethema.tv, Nonhle Thema merchandise and few projects will come later this year. Keep logging on to Nonhlethema.tv to find out more.
3. You made it public that you are extremely proud of your fame and fortune. Would you say you are arrogant or just super confident?
Yes I am – LOL – super confident. I worked really hard since I was 16 to get where I am today. I’m very proud and wish to inspire young people that you can be a success at a young age. Just be prepared to work hard and focus and you will get there. There’s no need to rely on any man, rather rely on yourself to make your dreams a reality.
4. You’ve made reference to the amount of money you’ve made (from having been the face of Dark and Lovely) at such a young age. How have you invested that cash?
Yes, I have. I’m a smart business woman. I have an amazing financial adviser and banker. I keep my money locked up so it accumulates. I don’t buy fancy clothes and shoes.
5. Do you think that using social media as a celebrity is a good thing or do you think it can backfire?
I love, love, love social media. I have a lot of fun on Twitter as my alter ego... I won’t stop engaging with my fans. They keep me going.
6. Do you regret any of the repercussions from your Twitter comments? How have you handled that?
Nah I don’t regret anything. I’m very fulfilled with my life and blessings. It’s just sad some people take Twitter so seriously. I’m just having fun and enjoying myself. No regrets.
7. Did your reality show Nonhle goes to Hollywood do as well as you hoped? What did you learn from the experience and do you have plans on going back to Hollywood to make it big?
Nonhle Goes to Hollywood was my breakthrough moment, I found a new confidence and sense of freedom and I learnt to love myself for me and not worry about having to be perfect anymore. The show was a huge success. I’m proud to have been the first African to have had her own reality show. A lot of young people were inspired that dreams do come true and anything is possible – seeing a girl from Soweto now shooting a show in LA. I do plan to go back. I’m still young, I have lots of plans.
8. Who was the best or most inspiring international star you had the opportunity of interviewing while working on O Access and V Entertainment? And why?
Aaaaah my heart skips a beat, it has to be Sir Richard Branson. He was such an inspiration and a free spirit. I got to learn a lot from him and his family and his equally gorgeous son. I’m really blessed.
9. Tell us a bit about your Nonhle’s Angels mentorship programme? Why did you start it and how is it going?
My mentorship program started years back. It’s my way of connecting and giving back on a personal level with my fans and supporters. Young people have to apply on my online channel www.nonhlethema.tv and I pick one young person a week. On Fridays I bring them to work and they get to see me doing my job live. I take them out for supper and they get to ask all the questions they want about me and the industry. And I give personal advice on how they can break into the entertainment industry and whether they are ready for the industry as it’s not for the fainthearted
10. What keeps you going every day?
God. My mother, my family, my fans. This is my destiny, I’m chosen for this. Everyday I’m eager to wake up and fulfil my life’s purpose no matter what.
11. Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I’m channelling Oprah. I have a plan and I believe God will continue to guide me there.
Interview by Destiny Connect
1. You’ve recently parted ways with Vuzu TV – what was the reason for the split?
It was time for me to grow and spread my wings. I had been with Mnet for ten years and I was starting to feel stagnant, and the channel and I wanted different things. I will always love them, it was a beautiful ten years I had with them. But now I have to do me.
2. What projects are you busy working on at the moment?
I just launched my online channel www.nonhlethema.tv, Nonhle Thema merchandise and few projects will come later this year. Keep logging on to Nonhlethema.tv to find out more.
3. You made it public that you are extremely proud of your fame and fortune. Would you say you are arrogant or just super confident?
Yes I am – LOL – super confident. I worked really hard since I was 16 to get where I am today. I’m very proud and wish to inspire young people that you can be a success at a young age. Just be prepared to work hard and focus and you will get there. There’s no need to rely on any man, rather rely on yourself to make your dreams a reality.
4. You’ve made reference to the amount of money you’ve made (from having been the face of Dark and Lovely) at such a young age. How have you invested that cash?
Yes, I have. I’m a smart business woman. I have an amazing financial adviser and banker. I keep my money locked up so it accumulates. I don’t buy fancy clothes and shoes.
5. Do you think that using social media as a celebrity is a good thing or do you think it can backfire?
I love, love, love social media. I have a lot of fun on Twitter as my alter ego... I won’t stop engaging with my fans. They keep me going.
6. Do you regret any of the repercussions from your Twitter comments? How have you handled that?
Nah I don’t regret anything. I’m very fulfilled with my life and blessings. It’s just sad some people take Twitter so seriously. I’m just having fun and enjoying myself. No regrets.
7. Did your reality show Nonhle goes to Hollywood do as well as you hoped? What did you learn from the experience and do you have plans on going back to Hollywood to make it big?
Nonhle Goes to Hollywood was my breakthrough moment, I found a new confidence and sense of freedom and I learnt to love myself for me and not worry about having to be perfect anymore. The show was a huge success. I’m proud to have been the first African to have had her own reality show. A lot of young people were inspired that dreams do come true and anything is possible – seeing a girl from Soweto now shooting a show in LA. I do plan to go back. I’m still young, I have lots of plans.
8. Who was the best or most inspiring international star you had the opportunity of interviewing while working on O Access and V Entertainment? And why?
Aaaaah my heart skips a beat, it has to be Sir Richard Branson. He was such an inspiration and a free spirit. I got to learn a lot from him and his family and his equally gorgeous son. I’m really blessed.
9. Tell us a bit about your Nonhle’s Angels mentorship programme? Why did you start it and how is it going?
My mentorship program started years back. It’s my way of connecting and giving back on a personal level with my fans and supporters. Young people have to apply on my online channel www.nonhlethema.tv and I pick one young person a week. On Fridays I bring them to work and they get to see me doing my job live. I take them out for supper and they get to ask all the questions they want about me and the industry. And I give personal advice on how they can break into the entertainment industry and whether they are ready for the industry as it’s not for the fainthearted
10. What keeps you going every day?
God. My mother, my family, my fans. This is my destiny, I’m chosen for this. Everyday I’m eager to wake up and fulfil my life’s purpose no matter what.
11. Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I’m channelling Oprah. I have a plan and I believe God will continue to guide me there.
Interview by Destiny Connect

